Hands-on community helper theme math activities and counting fun. A perfect addition to your math centers and math work stations. Children can practice 1-10 counting and 1-10 numeral recognition with this set...plus there are opportunities for categorizing. This set is perfect for your preschool or pre-k classroom and community helper theme, my community theme, occupations theme units and lesson plans.
This set includes two levels of color-coded counting cards:
- 15 counting clip cards with dot patterns and numerals
- 33 counting clip cards with numerals
- 2 clip book covers
- printable community helper arrows
- directions and ideas for use
Younger children who have not mastered numeral recognition can use the 1-6 dot pattern set. The set with numerals contains 1-10 counting practice and is a bit more challenging. You will need at least one clothespin clip to complete this activity. Kids enjoy using clip cards plus they provide fine motor practice. The printable arrows in this set each contain an image of a community helper.
Children can practice the following concepts:
- Object Counting: Children count the objects on a card and attach the clip to the correct numeral or dot pattern on the bottom of each card.
- Numeral Recognition: Children match cards with the same numeral or dot patterns on the bottom.
- Subitizing: Hold up a number of fingers and ask children to find the card with that number of objects on it.
- Construct the Same: Ask children to count the same number of objects as pictured on the card using coins, buttons, or other thematic objects.
- More/Less/Compare: Select two different cards and ask children to tell you which one has the most, the least, the greater, or the fewer number of objects.
- One More or One Less: After counting the objects on the card, ask children to tell you how many there would be if you had one more or one less.
- How Many Pairs: Several of the cards contain pictures of pairs of boots, pairs of socks, or pairs of mittens. Ask children to count the objects individually and ask them to count the pairs.
- Classification: Ask children to all of the firefighter related cards, etc.
These cards are suitable for use in your preschool, pre-k, special education, early intervention, speech therapy or homeschool classroom. Bundle a set with a cute clip to make a great busy bag activity. Use them in your math centers or take-home math bags