Teach children how to compare weights with this hands-on measurement activity. These printables were made to be used with a balance scale and a number of containers filled with materials (directions included).
Guide your kids through the scientific method as they explore the materials, take two materials, predict which is heavier/lighter, test their prediction, and record their results on the comparison mats or on a note.
This is a perfect addition to your STEM, STEAM, or math centers and lesson plans in your preschool or pre-k classroom.
This comparing weight activity includes the following:
- 36 material cards
- 1 weight comparison mat
- half sheet black and white note pages
- ***PLUS editable material cards
*You will also need the following to complete the activity:
- a bucket or balance scale
- a variety of materials to fill the containers
- small plastic containers to hold materials (plastic baby food containers work great)
The 36 material cards provided with this activity include a wide variety of everyday household items and materials which you probably already have at home or in your classroom. You do not need to provide all of the materials.
The following material cards are included in this set.
- googly eyes
- paper clips
- rubber bands
- cotton swabs
- bubble wrap
- pipe cleaners
- cotton balls
- sticky notes
- safety pins
- spring toys
- bubble gum
- construction paper
EDITABLE CARDS! Make your own material cards to customize this set with two versions of editable cards:
- Text only cards- you can add a row of text to the center of these cards.
- Text and photo cards - you can add a photograph (please read all of the directions) and a row of text below the photo.
**You will need the most recent version of Adobe Acrobat Reader to use the editable cards. Please read all of the directions and troubleshooting tips