A spring and summer version of my favorite measurement activity for your math center! Teach children how to compare weights with this spring and summer-theme, hands-on measurement activity. Perfect for your Easter theme, birds-theme, garden-theme, ocean theme unit and lesson plans!
These printables were made to be used with a balance scale and a number of containers filled with seasonal materials (directions included). Guide your kids through the scientific method as they explore the materials, take two materials, predict which is heavier/lighter, test their prediction, and record their results on the comparison mats or on a note.
This is a perfect addition to your STEM, STEAM, or math centers and lesson plans in your preschool or pre-k classroom.
This comparing weight activity includes the following:
- 45 material cards
- 1 weight comparison mat
- half sheet black and white note pages
- editable material cards (You must use Adobe Acrobat Reader to edit these)
*You will also need the following to complete the activity:
- a bucket or balance scale
- a variety of materials to fill the containers
- small plastic containers to hold materials (plastic baby food containers work great)
The 45 material cards provided with this activity include a wide variety of materials that you can find at home, in your classroom, or at the dollar store. You do not need to provide all of the materials.
The following material cards are included in this set.
- chick feathers
- bunny tails
- bird feathers
- ice cubes
- cotton candy
- sidewalk chalk
- green beans
PLUS...Make your own material cards to customize this set.
- Text only cards- you can add a row of text to the center of these cards.
- Text and photo cards - you can add a photograph (please read all of the directions) and a row of text below the photo.
*You will need the most recent version of Adobe Acrobat Reader to edit these files. Please read all of the directions and troubleshooting tips.